Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Nokia Lumia 820: A Review of Sorts

Just acquired my free Nokia Lumia 820 from my postpaid account from Globe Telecom. It was actually a choice between a Samsung Ativ and Nokia Lumia back in October 2013. Considering it was a 4G/LTE phone, my choice was then the Lumia. Was it a better choice? 

Below are just bits and pieces of what I can share about the Lumia 820 and probably its other middle-end counterparts in the Lumia family. This is not a technical description but a simple experience from an ordinary consumer like me---in my case, working at a highly fast-paced environment setting: the newsroom.
The Nokia Lumia 820 "Cyan (Blue)" version 
sits on its wireless charger (not provided in the box).
 Elegantly looking with its live Tiles 
(Photo: Nokia Conversations Website)

After more than three months of using the Lumia, it was a bit of mixed feeling since there are instances that I would have chosen another phone or even waited for the iPhone 5 offering from the telecom provider. 

First of all, the Lumia 820 is a Windows-powered phone. Something new for me being a long-time user of Android and iOS operating systems. Definitely the interface was a bit strange. Later on however, I am beginning to love the "Tiles" and it definitely "comes alive" compared to the static icons you get from the other operating systems.

The processor speed is impressive as it rarely hangs when opening several apps at a time. Yes, it does have the feature to switch between applications just like Android and Apple units. Let's say you open its free Microsoft Office to write about something and later on got bored so you switch to a game application just by long pressing the "start menu" on the phone. Then you can flip through all opened apps and switch to whichever you want to use. 

What's disappointing however is the lack of apps you can trust and  oftentimes, these available apps do not really do anything. They just merely waste your time in waiting for the download to come. Well, I guess it is because Windows Market is still starting their mobile journey so to speak compared to the more veteran and app-loaded Android Market of Google and iTunes Store of Apple.

Another downside about the Lumia is its inability to choose the network signal you want to connect through if your using the phone for Internet connection. Of course, a smartphone without Internet connection is just like a gun without bullets...useless. In the case of the Lumia you can set your phone to use 4G/LTE as its highest connection only. You cannot set your phone to use only 4G/LTE.

This means that when you get weak signals from your telecom or ISP on 4G, LTE or even 3G, you will be left with a crawling internet as it switches automatically to 2G. Unlike in Android where you can set a "4G only" connection, the Lumnia has none. I have read somewhere in the Internet that there are secret codes where you can set to 4G. Three months after, there ain't no working code found :( NONE.

I would have wanted this version of the
Lumia 820 had it not been out of stock last October from the
Globe Online Store. (Photo: Nokia Conversations) 
There are some blogs that says it was done so that networks on 4G will not be clogged or that it will help in keeping you connected with voice and texts even if the signals are not 4G or else you will be cut off while in a voice call. There is some logic there. 

The only hope there is, I guess, if Globe (my postpaid provider) will improve their 4G signals all across the country. I believe in the Cebu setting, there are only a few areas that are covered by 4G. That's in IT Park, Cebu Business Park, Capitol Site, UP Cebu and Lahug, and some stretches in Gorordo Avenue. I didnt get any 4G signal while on field to gather some news in Colon or any other downtown area. 

I will be talking more about my Lumia in the coming posts. Especially that I have just downloaded last week the update in its operating system. (From Lumia Amber to now Lumia Black.) Still testing on the new BLACK update and will tell you more about it as soon as I can in about a months use, I suppose.

(NOTE: For a more technical specs and description of the Nokia Lumia. Just Google "Windows Phone Insider" and wpcentral. You can also download Windows Phone Insider from the Windows Market. )

1 comment:

  1. While it is true that the Windows Phone platform has a lot less apps than Apple or Android, I find that it has always had everything important I needed. Just goes to prove what they say: That around 80% of Android and Apple apps are fairly useless and just taking up space on their respective stores. The developers of major or must-have apps usually always develop these apps across all platforms anyway.

    And I definitely love how Windows Phone's "tiles" combine the functionality of an app icon and a widget in one. Saves space and makes the home screen a LOT more interesting and informative.

    I've been on the Windows Phone platform for almost two years now -- since Windows Phone 7 on my Lumia 800 and now on Windows Phone 8 on my Lumia 920. Since then, not once have I thought of switching to another platform.

    ReplyDelete