Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Rapoo Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: A REVIEW

I didn't have any interest with wireless keyboards before until my new laptop got stolen. Now I need to revive my old laptop from the dead. Its LCD is busted so I had to attached my old desktop PC monitor so I can use it. The problem: I cannot move the old laptop anywhere I want it because of the cable wire attached to the PC monitor. It has to be stationary and its cable doesn't let you take the laptop far where you can sit back and relax on your bed or you would have to bring the monitor near your pillows.

I have been using wireless optical mouse for the longest time so it's not something new to me. It is way better than the touch pad especially if you play a lot of PC games. While looking for a new wireless mouse, for my “cyborg” laptop, I bumped into a set of mouse and keyboard from Rapoo. Why not try it? I said to myself. It cost me around P980 with a raffle stub—yes there was a raffle stub, part of their promo at a computer shop in Northwing. After about two weeks of using the new gadgets, here's what I think about what's inside the Rapoo box I bought.


The Look and features
The black colors for both the mouse and keyboard is a favorite for most gadgets because it does not easily catch stains or scratches tend to be invisible. Its color also makes the gadgets look slick and appealing to most (young) users.

The shape of the mouse rests comfortably to your palm. Although it will appear a bit larger than the regular desktop mouse. Maybe because of its shape. It also has a roller for easy scroll over pages like other optical mouse in the market.

One observable feature is that its mouse does not have the usual red lazer light found in most optical mouse that I had used before. At first you would think it is not functioning when you
r used to seeing the tiny red light.

Both the mouse and the keyboard are lightweight you can practically carry them everywhere. Although the keyboard size would need a bigger backpack unlike the folding keyboard—which I have not tried using it. A friend of mine says folding keyboards malfunctions a lot.

There is only one USB socket for both

Mouse and Keyboard so you can free other USB slots on your PC for other devices you want to connect to your computer like a joystick for games, or a usb memory card. The socket is also small (and black) that you wouldn't notice it attached to your PC or laptop.

I haven't really tested how far can the wireless signal go. My room is not huge so typical bedroom sizes do not really need to know how far can the Rapoo signal reach. Only Mr. Bean does such experiment, I think.

The mouse has ON-OFF switch button in order to save battery life. The Rapoo package includes two AA batteries: one for the mouse and the other for the keyboard. Rapoo guarantees it should last about 9 months. Let's just wait and see.

The battery on the keyboard is neatly designed and perfectly hidden. You wouldn't expect that there's a battery slot on the upper right portion of the keyboard. It just looked like one of the keys.

Usage

The mouse is about the same weight as an ordinary Desktop mouse. The keyboard is very lightweight and the keys are a bit cramped. You just need to get used to typing through it for a few days until you notice your fingers sprinting through the keys because of deadlines.

The problem however with “too” lightweight of a keyboard is its stability when your typing fast. Your hand can easily push it or drag it to the edge of the table. Maybe it needs a rubber stopper on its bottom to keep it in one place.

The buttons on the keyboard requires you to push a little deeper compared to how you type using a laptop. But if you are used to standard keyboard on a desktop, then you wouldn't complain.

The mouse is a bit large for those who are used to using smaller ones. (Take note: people with hands smaller than the average.)

I often use smaller mouse when I am covering a story on field. At first, using it is somewhat uncomfortable because of the size and the weird shoe-like shape. When you get to be used to it, you will however find out that its shape sits comfortably to your palm. All you need to know is how to grab or hold it correctly by changing the positions of your hand.

One good thing: the mouse runs on all surfaces in a normal bedroom: wood, concrete, and tiles, except for rugged and carpeted ones. For obvious reasons, you don't want your mouse scratching on those rugged surfaces anyway.

TIP FOR THE MOUSE: you need to avoid black-colored surfaces. I had a bed sheet with stripes of yellow and black. I noticed that when the mouse passes through the black color on the sheet, the cursor response slows down or would not respond at all. I haven't really researched how that happened. My old optical mouse has a black-colored mousepad.

conclusion


Basically, the two Rapoo wireless gadgets have been serving its purpose at least to an average computer user like me. It's price is affordable. It is very usefull for those who still are saving up to buy a new laptop and had to settle for “back-from-the-dead” and “cyborg” laptop units. The keyboard and mouse set is a pretty decent replacement for those laptops with busted keyboards and touch pad. 

(Note: I wrote this review sometime in May 2013. After about 9 months of using the Rapoo wireless; the only problem I have is the often malfunctioning power switch in the Mouse-- located under the unit along with the optical lense. Maybe Rapoo can change this design since the switch often gets dragged and worn out when your using the Mouse. It may be best to put the switch on the top portion of the Mouse. On the other hand, I would have to give it to the keyboard. It is simply the best keyboard I have ever owned. The battery has not been changed since May and the keys are perfectly okay and still as sensitive since the day I bought it. It fell down my table for several times and it is still functioning a-ok. )

No comments:

Post a Comment